Ryul Kim, Esq.
Case Manager: Haward Cho
Tel: (949) 863-9800
“…20% or more of civil cases filings in Southern California courts
have some Korean elements, including Korean parties, Korean legal issues
or business customs, which could affect the outcome of a case.
Practitioners of American law often fail to realize the significance of
RYUL KIM, ESQ. has specialized in US-Korea legal matters since 1984. He has served as mediator, counsel, consultant and expert witness for Korean and Korea-related disputes valued from a few thousand dollars to 9 figures. He has helped numerous clients, including Korean-American immigrants, Korean companies and Korean churches, avoid litigation and amicably settle a wide range of matters involving employment, partnership, franchise, intellectual property, leasing, competition, investment, and tort issues.
Mr. Kim also speaks about various Korean legal matters—including ADR issues—to lawyers, judges and the general public in Korean and English.
• Orange County Superior Court, Mediator
• Orange County Human Relations Council, Mediator
• The State Bar of California Mandatory Fee Arbitration, Arbitrator
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Mr. Kim is available to mediate Korean and Korean-related matters involving:
• Korea-U.S. law and business disputes including partnership, leasing, investment, franchise, and various contracts disputes
• Korea-U.S. bi-country legal matters
• Employment disputes
• Personal injury disputes
• Intellectual property disputes
LEGAL & PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
2009 – UCI School of Law, Executive Co-Chair for the “Korea Law Center”
2009 – UCI School of Law, Instructor: “Survey of US-Korea Law & Legal Systems”
2009 – Kim & Kim, Orange County
1994 – 2009 Hwang Mok Park (USA)
1987 – 1994 Law Firm of Kim & Loukides, Orange County
1984 – 1987 Law Offices of Ryul Kim, Orange County
1983 JD, Western State University College of Law
1983 Jessup International Moot Court
1980 BA in Economics, University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
LEGAL PUBLICATIONS & SPEECHES
• Publications: “ADR….Alternative Dispute Resolution”, “The U.S. Law Story”, “What should I know Before I Rent” in Korean, “The Korean Law Update”, “Commercial Leasing”, “Debtor’s Rights: Exemptions from Enforcement of Judgments” and “Jus Gentium”.
• Speech: “Working with Korean Clients: the Nuances to Watch”, “U.S. v. Korean Judges”, “International Injustice and Good News”, and “The Law & Faith”.
• Co-author with Hon. Ju Myung Hwang: “Enforcement of Foreign Judgment In Korea”, published by The California State Bar Association.
• Books in Progress in co-authorship with Hon. Ju Myung Hwang: The Korean Legal System and US-Korea Litigation
• Jessup International Moot Court, Regional Competition Judge
ADMISSIONS & CERTIFICATES
• California State Bar Association, admitted 1984 (CA State Bar #113606)
• U.S. Court of International Trade, 1985
• Orange County Bar Association College of Trial Advocacy (Civil), 1990
• National Litigation Academy, London, England 2006
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
• Orange County Korean American Bar Association (Founding President; 2005-2006)
• California State Bar Association, Section Executive Committee Member (2001-2002)
• Orange County Trial Lawyers Association
• American Trial Lawyers Association
• Los Angeles Trial Lawyers Association
• California Trial Lawyers Association
• Southern California Korean American Bar Association
• Transportation Lawyers Association
• Maritime Law Association of the United States
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
• Alliance Defense Fund (Honor Guard) for 500 Hours Pro Bono Services (2005)
• The Wiley Manuel Award Recipient for Pro Bono Services (1993)
• State Bar of California Board of Governors Award for Pro Bono Services (1989)
Mr. Kim is fluent in English & Korean and can read Chinese characters.
Disclaimer: Please be advised that the contents of this web site and any other statements contained herein are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be represented as legal advice in any way.