Robert A. Steinberg, Esq.
Resolving the Complex Business Case
Case Manager: Chelsea Mangel
Tel: (310) 201-0010 Ext. 137
Mr. Steinberg has been a full-time mediator and arbitrator since 2002 and, as of 2010, a medical staff hearing officer. Previously, as a business and tax partner with an international law firm, Mr. Steinberg represented multinational technology companies, retail and distribution companies, real estate entities, and participants in every sector of the healthcare industry, including hospitals, physicians, and payers.
Robert A. Steinberg, Esq.
Resolving the Complex Business Case™
Principal, 2002 - Present
Full-time mediator, arbitrator and medical staff peer review hearing officer. Recent cases include the following:
Business and Tax:
- $60 million dispute between American food processor and foreign manufacturer of refrigeration equipment.
- $40 million tax malpractice case against Big 4 accounting firm and prominent New York-based law firm.
- Securities class action against public company.
- Many commercial real estate disputes involving multiple lender priority issues and disputes among owners, lenders and contractors.
- Many disputes among shareholders and partners.
- Many tax controversy cases involving federal, state and local taxes.
- $40 million dispute between Florida hospital and hospital management company.
- Multi-million dollar damage phase of reversed peer review decision.
- Many cases involving hospital, medical group and physician compensation.
- Multi-million dollar reimbursement dispute between two major clinical laboratories.
- Several Medicare reimbursement disputes.
Davis Wright Tremaine, Los Angeles, California
Partner, 1990 - 2001
International law firm with offices in nine cities. Acted as lead counsel and provided tax advice in hundreds of transactions and negotiated and managed the purchase, sale and merger of numerous businesses. Specialized in corporate and tax counseling, public and private securities work, and taxation of electronic commerce.
- Lead corporate and tax lawyer in merger of two major hospital systems and the purchase, sale or merger of other hospitals.
- Lead corporate and tax lawyer in sale of one of the largest independent practice associations (IPAs) in Southern California to insurance giant. Organized, acquired and advised many physician organizations, including medical groups, IPAs, and preferred provider networks (PPOs).
- Primary corporate lawyer in attempted billion dollar hostile takeover of nonprofit HMO by for-profit HMO.
- Obtained $20 million tax refund for Japanese multinational technology company.
Managed all operations and profitability of Los Angeles office. Improved distributable income per partner by more than $300,000 in fewer than four years.
Ellingsen, Christensen & van Hall, Los Angeles, California
Partner 1988 - 1990
Transactional, securities, tax and healthcare practice. (Acquired by Davis Wright Tremaine in 1990.)
Spensley, Horn, Jubas & Lubitz, Los Angeles, California
Associate 1982 - 1988
Corporate, public and private securities and tax practice in the second largest patent firm in the Western United States (since dissolved). Sole tax lawyer at firm, planning all business transactions. Represented multinational and technology clients.
Van camp & Johnson, Los Angeles, California
Associate 1979 - 1981
Litigation attorney in general business litigation practice. Hands-on responsibility for all aspects of case load.
Wyman, bautzer, rothman & kuchel, Los Angeles, California
Associate 1977 - 1979
Litigation attorney in general business/entertainment practice. Substantial experience with antitrust and copyright laws.
California Society of Healthcare Attorneys Hearing Officer Training Program, 2010, 2012
Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution Advanced Mediation Seminar, 2002
LL.M. (in Taxation), New York University, 1982
J.D., Duke University, 1977
Editorial Board, Duke Law Journal
First Place, Dean’s Cup Moot Court Competition
A.B., University of Michigan, Honors English Program, 1974
PUBLICATIONS AND SEMINARS
Mr. Steinberg has authored more than 60 articles and presented more than 40 seminars on law and conflict resolution topics.
Disclaimer: Please be advised that the contents of this web site and any other statements contained herein are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be represented as legal advice in any way.