Lynne S. Bassis, Esq.
Case Manager: Elvira Camacho
Tel: (213) 683-1600 Ext. 37
Working at the intersection of law and human emotion, Lynne Bassis, Esq. harmonizes the legal, business and personal issues such that settlement occurs. Her style, technique, instincts and impartiality leave both plaintiff and defense counsel pleased with the process and with the outcome.
MEDIATION & PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Full Time Mediator with over 20 years of experience.
- Super Lawyers (2007-2011, 2015-2017)
- Mediation Instructor (beginning and advanced training), Los Angeles County Bar Association.
- Negotiation, International Academy of Mediators Seminar co-sponsored by Harvard.
- Practicing Lawyer and Litigator with 24 years of experience in both the public and private sectors. General civil, employment, municipal defense, labor, governmental tort liability, professional ethics and personal injury.
- Director & Adjunct Professor, Disability Mediation Center at Loyola Law School.
- ADR Professor: Southwestern University School of Law, University of California at Riverside, and UCLA Education Extension.
- Negotiation Trainer: United States Air Force, California State Department of Rehabilitation, United States Postal Service, Seminar for Pacific Enterprises, “Negotiation at Work” Seminars, and Conflict Resolution Skills for High School Students.
AREAS OF SPECIALTY
- Disability & Disability Access
- Government Tort Liability & Personal Injury
- Pre-Litigation Mediation
- 2001-Present Mediator, Bassis Mediation Group
- 1999-2001 Professor, Loyola Law School
- 1989-1998 Counsel to the Court, California Supreme Court’s State Bar Court
- 1988-1989 Litigation Attorney, Gartner & Young
- 1986-1988 Litigation Attorney, Barbosa & Vera
- 1984-1986 Trial Counsel, State Bar of California
- 1980-1984 Litigation Attorney, Legal Services
- 1977-1980 Peace Corps
- 2011 Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine Law School [Designing Conflict Management Systems]
- 1995 Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine Law School [Mediating the Litigated Case]
- 1977 Northeastern University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- 1974 University of California, Berkeley A.B. Criminology
- Epstein and Bassis: Speed Dating and Other Creative Tools for Mediation: Trial Talk (Colorado Trial Lawyers Association), December /January 2012
- Bassis and Epstein: Transportation Mediation: Trial Talk (Colorado Trial Lawyers Association), October/November 2008
- Bassis and Epstein: Business Break-Ups: Litigate or Mediate?: USLAW Network, Inc., Spring-Summer 2008
- Bassis: Attorney-Client Mediation: Los Angeles Lawyer, June 2003
- Bassis: Litigators Who Take Advantage of the Mediation Process Can Help Their Clients: Los Angeles Daily Journal, April 11, 2002
- Bassis: The Adjustment Act: A Mediator Versed in Disability Law Can Help Parties Sort Through the Accommodation Process: Los Angeles Daily Journal, February 8, 2002
- Bassis, Answered Prayers: Foxgate and Draft Ethical Standards Illuminate Mediator’s Role, Los Angeles Daily Journal, August 22, 2001
- Bassis: New Solutions: Pilot Mediation Program Offers Benefits to Employers and Employees, Los Angeles Daily Journal, July 25, 2001
- Bassis: Cart Controversy: Disabilities Act Protects Golfer Casey Martin, Los Angeles Daily Journal, June 14, 2001
- Bassis and Kichaven: Pendulum Swing: Supreme Court Strikes Down Part of Disabilities Act, Los Angeles Daily Journal, March 22, 2001
- Dispute Resolution Magazine, Technology Column (2000)
- Editor, American Bar Association’s The Lawyer’s Desk Guide to Legal Malpractice, (April 1999)
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- California Employment Lawyers Association
- LA County Bar Association
- Labor & Employment Law Section
- Healthcare Law Section
- California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles Attorneys
- Santa Monica Bar Association
- California State Bar
- Labor & Employment Executive Committee (Term: 2005-2008)
- Ethics Subcommittee, State Bar Committee on ADR (1998)
- International Academy of Mediators (Distinguished Fellow, since 1999)
- Southern California Mediation Association
- Presenter, National Guardianship Association, “Resolution Matters: Managing Conflict With Early Mediation (2007)
- Panelist, Annual State Bar Labor & Employment Conference, “Discuss It With the Mediator” (2007)
- MCLE Panelist, “Navigating Ethically in Mediations: Avoiding Those Rocks and Sandbars," Annual State Bar Labor & Employment Conference (2006)
- Presenter, Lorman Education Seminars, “Employment Law from A to Z in California,” (March 2005)
- Presenter, The Ventura Center for Dispute Settlement “Mediating Disability Cases” (2004)
- Presenter, “The Art of Peacemaking ~ Beyond Mediation: Dealing with Difficult Cases [Seminar to Understand Why Those Other Mediations Did Not Work] (June 2004 & May 2005)”
- Presenter, SCMA Conference, “Cutting Edge Issues in Disability Mediation” (Oct. 2004)
- Presenter, “Beyond the Basics Employment Mediation,” International Academy of Mediators (May 2003)
- Presenter, Lorman Education Services, “Disability Discrimination in California: Managing & Mediating Disability Issues in the Workplace” (Oct. 2002)
- Presenter, Employers Group Annual Law Update, “Interactive Reasonable Accommodation Process” (2001)
- Presenter, Lorman Education Services, “Ethical Responsibilities When Representing A Client in Mediation” (2001)
- Vice Chair, Executive Committee, Attorney-Client Mediation and Arbitration Services, Los Angeles County Bar Association & Chair, Mediation Subcommittee (2000-present)
- Faculty Coach, Loyola Law School, American Bar Association’s Mediation Advocacy Competition (2000)
- Presenter, Southern California Mediation Association, “Mediating Workplace/Employment Disputes” (2000)
- Presenter, Southern California Mediation Association, “A Walk Through the Landscape of Disability Issues Facing the Mediator (1999)
Disclaimer: Please be advised that the contents of this web site and any other statements contained herein are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be represented as legal advice in any way.